Oil Pulling Instructions
Congratulations on taking charge of your dental health! Oil pulling sounds weird, but it’s an effective procedure that clears away destructive bacteria hidden between your teeth and gums– the gateway to many health problems. In fact, a lot of research has discovered that bacteria and infection can enter the blood through the mouth, causing a whole host of health issues.
The most effective approach is to do the oil pull for a minimum of 30 days up to 60 days in a row. After that, hopefully you’ll be so addicted to your newly brightened teeth and pink gums, that you’ll make it part of your morning routine!!
Materials You Will Need
- Organic cold-pressed sesame oil or coconut oil
- For cleansing mouth afterwards: essential oil such as Tea Tree Oil or Neem Oil, food-grade hydrogen peroxide, Neem Bark, and a high quality fluoride-free organic toothpaste.
Make sure to use high quality, cold-pressed oil. Typically, your conventional oils are highly refined and cut with cheaper, degraded oils. Using this type of oil will not give you the optimal results you want. It’s worth the trip to your local health food store–just ask for organic, cold-pressed sesame or coconut oil.
Some protocols suggest that unrefined sunflower seed oil is just as effective. Although I’m biased when it comes to sesame oil, if you feel sunflower seed oil is more palatable, by all means give it a try. Just make sure you use organic and unrefined.
Let’s Get Pulling!
The Oil Pull is most effective when done first thing in the morning before food or drink. It takes 20-25 minutes start to finish. So make sure to adjust your morning routine. I usually prepare my tea and get my veggies ready for my morning juice. Time goes by quick when you stay busy.
- For your rinse, add 1 drop of Tea Tree Oil or 2 drops of Neem Oil (can use both) in 3 oz. of water. Or use 1/2 tsp. hydrogen peroxide. Set aside.
- Take 1 tablespoon of oil, put it in your mouth, tilt your chin up, and start swishing and pulling it through your teeth. Swish, pull, chomp, swish, pull, chomp.
- Did I say swish, pull, chomp, swish, pull, chomp? Yes.
- Do not gargle though! You don’t want to run the risk of swallowing the oil, because it contains bacteria.
- You want to keep swishing, pulling, and chomping until the oil turns from clear and thick to a thin, white consistency. For some this may happen almost immediately. If so, spit it out and take some more oil. You want to do this for up to 15-20 minutes. I generally take the oil 2-3 times. Eventually, after your mouth has been cleared of harmful bacteria, the oil won’t turn white so quickly.
- Because the oil contains a lot of bacteria, I recommend spitting it out in the toilet. If you choose to spit it out in the sink, make sure to sanitize it afterward.
- Take your rinse and vigorously swish and spit until 2 oz. is used.
- Next scrape your tongue, then use the remaining rinse to clear your mouth.
- You may choose to brush your teeth or wait until after breakfast.
If the idea of swishing oil freaks you out, excites you or peaks your curiosity, I’d love to hear about it. Please, let me know your thoughts by leaving a comment below. And as always, if you’d like updates with more info like this, please join me at Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Bye-bye bacteria, hello healthy teeth and gums.