Kale and Avocado Salad
Can I get a “Kale Yeah!?” When it comes to highly nutritious food, kale is King! It’s alkalizing, anti-inflammatory and loaded with nutrients. Also known as borecole, kale is available in curly, ornamental, or dinosaur varieties. It belongs to the Brassica family that includes cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, collards, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts.
What makes kale so fabulous? It’s loaded with:
- Fiber (5 grams per cup)
- Vitamin C (immune support)
- Vitamin A (vision & skin support)
- Vitamin K (cancer fighting, bone support, prevents blood clotting)
- Iron (kale has more iron than beef!)
- Antioxidants (carotenoids and flavonoids are cancer fighting)
- Calcium (per calorie, kale has more calcium than milk)
It’s also an excellent source of vitamin B6, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, iron and manganese. Popeye, has nothing on kale!
Obviously it’s most nutritious to eat kale raw, and there is no finer way than with a massaged kale salad! I usually make a huge batch and it eat throughout the week. It should keep well for 3-4 days.
The secret to a massaged kale salad is EVOO, lemon juice and pink salt. The leaves wilt nicely and the bitter taste is neutralized. My favorite is lactino or dinosaur kale. The leaves are the gentlest of all varieties.
- 1 medium bunch of kale, any kind
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 small red onion
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced into halves
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (reserve the other half in case you'd like to add more)
- 2 tsp. EVOO
- 1 tsp. Pink Salt
- 1-2 tbsp. Hemp Seeds
- Black pepper to taste (optional)
- Cut leaves from the inner rib and stem, and chop kale into 1/4" pieces. Smaller pieces are easier to chew.
- Add lemon juice, 1/2 of an avocado, EVOO and pink salt.
- Vigorously massage ingredients into the kale, until it begins to soften. Depending on the type of kale it may take a few minutes.
- Next add cucumber and onion, and continue to massage, massage, massage.
- Last add a little pepper (optional) and the rest of the avocado and toss with a salad spoon.
- Let sit for 1-3 hours to allow the kale leaves to marinate.
Do you have any favorite massaged kale recipes? Any secret ingredients I should know about? If so, please give up the goods in the comments section below; I’d love to have a variety of go-to kale salads. And as always, if you enjoyed this post and would like more recipes like this, please join me at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.