Making your own sauces, creams and condiments is quite empowering. You have complete control over the ingredients, avoiding unwanted GMO’s, toxic preservatives and other nasties that are byproducts of the food processing industry–and the flavor is almost always much better.
This recipe is no exception. I was itching to get started on several recipes that called for Sweet Thai Chili Sauce, but found myself in a little dilemma. After reading the labels of several store-bought brands, I decided there was no way I was going to use them. Have you read the ingredient label of most brands of Thai Chili Sauce? EEEK! Refined sugar, GMO’s and toxic preservative were all I could read. 😯
It was time to roll up my sleeves and figure out how to make my own. I was pleasantly surprised at how simple and quick the process was, and super thrilled with the taste and texture–so much better than store-bought. I was hooked.
Here’s what you need to know about making your own Thai Chili Sauce.
1. Wear gloves when slicing your peppers!! The oils from the peppers will absorb into your skin, and no doubt you’ll rub your eyes at some point. This is no fun.
2.Many recipes call for different types of peppers. I prefer Organic Red Jalepenos, because they have just the right amount of heat for my taste buds. If you want inferno-kind-of-heat I recommend Red Serranos or Thai Peppers. For milder heat, Red Fresnos are an excellent option.
3. For even more added heat, keep the seeds and the green tops as shown in the images. Slice the peppers in halves, then quarters and toss them into your blender with the rest of the ingredients.
Ingredients in the blender ready to go. This is as complicated as it gets.
4. How successfully you’re able to blend the peppers depends on the type of blender you have. I use my handy-dandy Vitamix that can blend just about anything–I’m sure it could blend concrete if I gave it a shot. The more moxie your blender has, the more you’ll be able to pulverize the peppers into a liquid, which is what you want.
So if you’ve been on the fence about purchasing a Vitamix, I’m here to tell you to do it!! The investment is absolutely worth it, and you’ll gain more freedom by making your own sauces, creams, nut milks, green smoothies, etc. Your world will literally expand.
5. A food processor can do the trick if you’re not able to purchase a Vitamix at this time. You’ll need to finely chop the garlic and peppers and simmer them until they’re softened, then blend in the processor. The consistency may be more thick and chunky vs. smooth and saucy, but the flavor will still be delicious!
6. Consistency is everything. Thai Chili Sauce should be smooth and gel-like, with bits of chunky pepper and garlic. This requires a little heat and a good thickener, such as organic arrowroot powder. I’ve stopped using organic cornstarch, because I’ve been told by a few sources that it still contains GMOs. I don’t have solid proof of this right now, but I’m fine with taking it off the shelf.
7. Making your own Thai Chili Sauce is quick and easy! Once you blend your ingredients, transfer to a small pot, cook for a few minutes then add your thickener. Let cool and voila, you have Sweet Thai Chili Sauce! That quick!
Do you enjoy making your own homemade sauces? Any unique recipes to share? If so, please share in the comments section below. And as always, if you enjoyed this post and would like more recipes like this, please join me at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
Welcome to Yogitrition, Your Source for Living Well and Whole. My name is Kim, and I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, a glimpse into my whole lifestyle, and work privately with clients from all over the world. Book a private coaching session or a cooking class with me, and keep up to date with my public cooking classes, supper clubs, workshops and events by signing up for my newsletter. I'm super thrilled you stopped by and have fun looking around! | Ormond Beach, FL